Drive-Line Technology System
The name Multidrive is derived from the Drive-Line Technology System designed to drive and steer the trailer tandem of an articulated vehicle.
Drive to the rear trailer tandem bogie is taken from a ‘through-drive’ axle on the rear of the tractor unit, by a constant velocity drive shaft system, providing permanent all wheel drive to the trailer, at all speeds. The steering action of the tractor unit is transmitted to the trailer bogie through the drive shaft support system, pivoting the bogie on its turntable mounting This action maintains the constant velocity drive-line and enables the trailer to track closely with the tractor.
This system can be adapted to suit a wide range of vehicles.
The system maximises:
- The rear chassis unit pushes the tractor for optimum traction
- The rear chassis has minimal cut in to reduce space needed on haul road corners
- Drive-line operates with constant velocity to eliminate vibrations and extend product life
- The tractor stresses are reduced by the distribution of tractive forces into the rear chassis
- The load length can be increased over rigid vehicles
- A tug trailer can be added with minimal cut in positively towed by the trailer drive axles
- Retarder brakes operate on trailer as well as tractor through the drive-line
Reduced haul road costs and maintenance due to:
- No corner cut in
- Steeper grades possible
- Reduced road slip on grades
Higher output due to:
- Favourable grade speeds
- All wheel retarder higher favourable grade speeds due to all wheel drive
- Ability to operate in more adverse weather
- Reduced stress on tractor axles
- Longer tyre life with less wheel slip
By using Drive-Line Technology with the Multidrive M8 Articulated High Speed Hauler offers a complete vehicle of unique construction.
- Articulate tractor and trailer vehicle with the patented regeneration steering linkage
- Patented high speed, horizontal ejector
- Good visibility
- Good serviceability
The M8 Timber model is has been in operation in African forests for a number of years, operating in arduous conditions in challenging terrain transporting timber from the forest direct to the mill without the need for short or intermediate haulage vehicles.